Posted for Gosport Voluntary ActionBack to Search Results Register your Interest
Are you a patient person with good listening skills, who cares about supporting older people? If so, volunteering with Advocacy could be a fulfilling experience for you. A Volunteer Advocate acts independently to help a vulnerable person use their voice, secure their rights, represent their interests and access services they need.
The role can involve meeting clients both at our office and in their own homes and then working alongside them in negotiations with third parties. Issues worked on can involve health, social care, housing, financial matters or consumer rights.
No specific experience or educational/professional qualifications are required, as volunteers will be fully supported and trained as necessary. However, volunteers should be aged 21 or over.
Ideally a volunteer will:
- be aged 21 or over
- be patient and able to listen to others' points of view
- encourage the older person to speak up for themselves as much as possible
- be able and willing to represent the older person's views without prejudice
- understand the importance of getting the older person's consent for any action being taken on their behalf
- understand the need for confidentiality
- be reliable, trustworthy and honest
- have the time and commitment to work with, and on behalf of, an older person
- be prepared to deal with complicated situations
- be willing to learn, and give and receive feedback
- respect each older person as an individual, whatever illness or disability they may have
- appreciate the value of equal opportunities
- have good communication and literacy skills
- DBS check required
An Enhanced DBS will be required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Travelling expenses are reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
ongoing support form Advocacy Co-ordinator and Project Manager
- Suitable for Under 18's
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Expected hours: Minimum 2 hours per week. Hours and times to be agreed.
This opportunity has no specific location.