Posted for Gosport Voluntary ActionBack to Search Results Register your Interest
Would you like to support an older, vulnerable Gosport resident to remain living independently in their home? Could you help with writing letters or filling in forms?
If you’re passionate about supporting Gosport’s older residents and can give 2 to 4 hours a week, this rewarding volunteering role could be for you!
As an Advocate volunteer, you will be making a real difference, supporting vulnerable older people and helping them to make informed decisions and to get their views heard.
The role can involve meeting clients both at our office and in their own homes and then working alongside them to resolve issues. You don't need to be an expert; empathy and understanding are more important than any qualifications.
Volunteers will be fully supported and trained and reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed.
- Satisfaction – helping people to make a real difference to their lives
- Teamwork – being part of a team
- Purpose – putting your skillset to a good use
- Communication – developing written and verbal communication skills
- Experience – gain valuable practical experience of helping others
Join the team and you could make a real difference to the lives of local older people in need.
Ideally a volunteer will:
- be aged 21 or over
- be patient and able to listen to others' points of view
- encourage the older person to speak up for themselves as much as possible
- be able and willing to represent the older person's views without prejudice
- be reliable, trustworthy and honest
- be willing to learn, and give and receive feedback
- respect each older person as an individual, whatever illness or disability they may have
- have good communication and literacy skills
Enhanced DBS required (organised and paid for by our service)
- DBS check required
An Enhanced DBS will be required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Travelling expenses are reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
Ongoing support form Advocacy Co-ordinator and Project Manager
- Suitable for Under 18's
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Expected hours: Minimum 2 hours per week. Hours and times to be agreed.
This opportunity has no specific location.