TogetherNet Video Chat Volunteer
Posted for Gosport Voluntary ActionBack to Search Results Register your Interest
Just 30 minutes of your time a week could make a huge difference to an older Gosport resident's life. If you enjoy chatting, have good listening skills and would be happy to use a video app and your own device, you could join this exciting new pilot project and help reduce loneliness in our local community.
What is TogetherNet?
TogetherNet is pilot project run by Gosport Voluntary Action (GVA) which aims to reduce loneliness and isolation for older Gosport residents with regular contact with a volunteer over Zoom. Due to the C-19 situation, GVA's face to face befriending service has moved more into telephone befriending and now this new local project is being developed to introduce video chat volunteering, where volunteers make a regular weekly video call to an older Gosport resident, their ‘video friend’, and both enjoy the many benefits of hearing and seeing the person on the other end.
As a volunteer, you'd be matched with a Gosport resident who is aged 55 or over, who we have supplied with a device, training and an app, set up to connect with you. You would have a coordinator who would support you and provide guidance wherever needed.
It's a fun, safe, easy way to help an older local resident in need and you can take part from the comfort of your own home, at a time that suits you both.
What do we ask from you?
- Completing an online application, references, online training, an informal interview over Zoom and an ID check
- Making a weekly video call for 30 minutes on your own device, on a regular day and time
- A commitment of 3 months at least, but ideally longer
- Being kind, respectful and following guidance throughout your volunteering
- Logging calls online and letting your coordinator know if you or your video chat friend needs support.
Your video calls can make a huge difference to the happiness and wellbeing of an older person. Please express your interest by clicking above, or phone 02392 604689 and speak to Laura Drew for an informal chat.
If you'd prefer to do telephone or face to face (when available) befriending, please view here.
- Ability to chat with an older person on a one-to-one basis.
- Ability to listen with interest, patience and empathy
- Reliable and trustworthy
- IT skills, including video calling, emails and online call log
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for Under 18's
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 23/10/2020
End Date: 23/10/2021
Ability to chat with an older person on a one-to-one basis. Ability to listen with interest, patience and empathy Reliable and trustworthy IT skills, including video calling, emails and online call log
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.