Posted for Sussex, Hampshire and Isle of Wight reptile rescue centreBack to Search Results Register your Interest
Following extensive research and investigation we have found that there are little to no animal rescue centres specifically for reptiles in Sussex, Hampshire, Portsmouth, or the Isle of wight. In 2018 the RSPCA (Royal Society for the protection against cruelty to animals) received a total of 15,790 calls about exotic animals, in 2022 there were a total of 3,363 abandoned exotic pets abandoned with 685 being snakes. And due to the recent surge in energy costs we expect this to rise over the next year.
This is why we have started the Sussex, Hampshire, and Isle of wight reptile sanctuary with an aim in providing a reptile rescue service with an aim to rehabilitate sick injured and unwanted reptiles and who need attention, bring them back to good health and get them ready for rehousing and adoption.
We are currently to build a board of trustees to help develop the project and to get the project started in order to meet our charitable objectives. We are looking particularly for individuals with experience of similar projects and has the specific skills in
-Animal rescue and rehabilitation
The role of a trustee is to ensure fulfilment of the charity’s duty to the community and deliver on its vision, mission and outcomes.
· Support and provide advice on the Sussex, Hampshire, and Isle of wight reptile sanctuary’s purpose, vision, goals, and activities.
· Approve operational strategies and policies and monitor and evaluate their implementation.
· Oversee Sussex, Hampshire, and Isle of wight reptile sanctuary’s financial plans and budgets and monitor and evaluate progress.
· Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
· Ensure that key risks are being identified, monitored, and controlled effectively.
· Review and approve the Sussex, Hampshire, and Isle of wight reptile sanctuary financial statements.
· keep abreast of changes in the Sussex, Hampshire, and Isle of wight reptile sanctuary operational environment.
· Contribute to regular reviews of the Sussex, Hampshire, and Isle of wight reptile sanctuary’s own governance. Attend Board meetings, adequately prepared to contribute to discussions.
· Use independent judgment, acting legally and in good faith to promote and protect [charity name]’s interests, to the exclusion of their own personal and/or any third party interests.
· Contribute to the broader promotion of the Sussex, Hampshire, and Isle of wight reptile sanctuary objects, aims and reputation by applying your skills, expertise, knowledge, and contacts.
As a small charity, there will be times when the trustees will need to be actively involved beyond Board meetings. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, presenting externally, or other issues in which the trustee has special expertise
Personal skills and qualities
· Willingness and ability to understand and accept their responsibilities and liabilities as trustees and to act in the best interests of the organisation.
· Ability to think creatively and strategically, exercise good, independent judgement and work effectively as a board member.
· Effective communication skills and willingness to participate actively in discussion.
· A strong personal commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
· Enthusiasm for our vision and mission.
· Willingness to lead according to our values [charity values].
· Commitment to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
Terms of office
· Trustees are appointed for a 2 year term of office, renewal for 2 further terms to a maximum of 4 years.
· This is a voluntary position, but reasonable expenses are reimbursed.
· Attending 6 Board meetings annually. Currently meetings are held via Zoom.
· Attending details of annual strategy / training days
· Occasionally support with the day to day running of the charity.
- DBS check required
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for Under 18's
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.