Help us develop a thriving and influential voluntary sector by becoming a member of Gosport Voluntary Action (GVA). Membership is free and offers a range of services.
Being a part of GVA offers your group the following support with or access to:
- Setting up new organisations to address new challenges and opportunities
- Day to day management of new and existing groups or organisations
- A wide range of training courses plus delivery of custom made training to fit individual organisation’s needs through our partners, Community First Havant and East Hants and Harbourside Training
- Finding Trustees and well qualified, experienced and dedicated volunteers
- Developing Sustainable Funding Strategies
- Advice on and dealing with employment issues through retained HR specialists
- Forums for networking and ideas sharing
- Funding events
- Getting your group’s voice heard at meetings of statutory bodies
Practical support at a preferential rate
- Equipment, minibus and room hire
- Accounting advice and provision of payroll services and Independent Examinations
- Disclosure and Barring services through Community Action Fareham
- A Regular Newsletter and E-Bulletin
What we offered our members in 2017
In 2017, we directly supported 32 of our member groups:
- Helping to set up 4 new voluntary organisations and gave best practice advice to 32 members
- Registering interest from around 770 potential volunteers, placing over 94, 13 of which had support needs
- Attending 26 forums and strategic meetings
- Delivering 3 funding events that were attended by 46 different organisations
GVA Membership FAQ
Can any Group become a member?
Any voluntary/community group or organisation, which supports the aims and objectives of GVA and operates or has an interest in Gosport, can become a member.
Is there a fee and what do you get?
Membership is FREE although as we are a Company Limited by Guarantee there is a requirement that in the unlikely event that GVA were to close down, all members would be required to contribute £1 towards any wind up costs. Membership gives access to all the benefits listed above.
Why should you join?
As a member group you will have the right to become part of our governing body and to determine our role in the community. When time and resources are limited, you will be given preferential treatment.
We spend much of our time networking, negotiating and advising the voluntary, statutory and independent sectors and, whilst we do not claim to present the voluntary sector, we are seen as being representative of it. Therefore, the more members we have, the greater our credibility.
What Happens Next?
When you have completed your form, it will be presented at the next Executive Committee meeting, and if accepted, you will be notified that you have temporary membership. At the next AGM, your membership will then be ratified and your group will have full voting rights.
If you become a member, will you be controlled by GVA in any way?
Absolutely not, the governance of your organisation will not change in any way.