Gosport Walk Leader Training
Do you love walking and meeting new people? Do you have an interest in your local heritage?
If so then you might be interested in training to become a Volunteer Walk Leader with our Walking for Health and/or Walking Past projects. The free training is taking place on the morning of Thursday 23 January 2020 at Gosport Voluntary Action, Martin Snape House, Gosport, PO12 1FG.
Our Volunteer Walk Leaders are friendly and approachable, and are over 18. They also need to:
- have a great enthusiasm for walking and share Walking for Health’s vision of everyone having access to a short, free and friendly walk
- be prepared to lead health walks in line with best practice procedures (as covered in the Walk Leader training)
- be committed to lead walks for Gosport Walking for Health scheme and/or the Walking Past scheme
- be physically able to assist or lead in the delivery of health walks and/or heritage walks
- be happy to stay in contact with Gosport Walking for Health for updates and refreshers when required
- be open minded and willing to support a diverse range of people to become more active through walking
- additionally, if you would like to become a Walking Past Walk Leader then you should have some knowledge and/or a keen interest in the local heritage.
If this sounds like you, then the first step is to sign up to the training on the 23 January via the booking form below.
Before attending the training we suggest you attend a Gosport Walking for Health walk as a participant. To attend a walk just turn up a few minutes before the start time. You can view our current walk programme here.
The training day takes place in the morning (9.45am until approx 1pm) and will include going on a short guided walk led by the Trainers.
After the training day, you will need to shadow a Walk Leader at least once, and then lead a walk with a current Walk Leader observing you to become a fully fledged Volunteer Walk Leader. The time it takes to do this is completely up to you.
If you have any questions about the training or becoming a Volunteer Walk Leader, please contact Emma Kemp, Gosport Walking for Health Coordinator by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 02392 583836.